Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1dHKNO6PS

Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Great Hutch Makeover

It's time for another fantastic furniture re-do.  Every once in awhile, the itch to fix things gets in deep between my shoulder blades. That was the case with this hutch I inherited from my great-grandfather.

There were a lot of things I liked about this piece. The details are cool, it's solid, and it's big.  But, I didn't like the color, and I really wasn't utilizing it.  For awhile now I wanted to turn it into an entertainment until for our TV.  So, with the help of Daniel, we took it apart, and using this tutorial from All Things Thrifty, I primed the piece.


Believe me, if I had known how much easier it is to paint furniture with spray paint, I would have done it a long time ago.  It's faster, and goes on so much smoother than painting with a brush. Oh, and it's a lot less messy.

Next, I painted the entire thing a teal blue color called "Blue Ocean Breeze." It looked gorgeous, but a little too bright.  So, I decided to put a dark glaze over the entire thing.  I also spray painted the hardware a nice dark bronze color.  Here is the finished product.




I absolutely love it.  It has gone from being a dark piece of hulking furniture, to something that I am really proud to display prominently.  Here is the before and after again:


What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! What a change! I love the color! It's awesome. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! An update! (for the blog AND the hutch, I guess.)

    I think it turned out excellently. You're a super-redoer.

    ReplyDelete