Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1dHKNO6PS

Monday, June 9, 2008

Movies I've seen lately

Daniel loves watching movies. In fact, that's pretty much what we do most nights. It takes quite a bit for me to feel like I've wasted my time after watching a movie. So, I can usually find a good point in most movies. Here are some of the movies that we've watched lately and how I felt about them.

The Bee Movie
I'm going to start with this, just to get it out of the way. This movie was perhaps the worst movie I've ever seen in my life (except maybe Star Wars Episode 2). It was stupid, uneventful, and extremely false. The premise of the movie is that this bee (with the voice of Jerry Seinfeld who is such a whiner anyway it makes me sick) doesn't want to do mundane tasks for the rest of his life. So he ventures out of the hive in search of something new. He meets this human woman and falls in love with her. (Yeah, right). During a venture out to the grocery store, he sees all this honey on the shelves and deduces that the humans are stealing from bees. So, he files a law suit with the honey companies. Well, at the court hearing, you'll never guess who is representing the honey industry. A fat white man. Go figure. You know those evil, gluttonous corporate organizations. Anyway, he wins, and the bees stop producing honey. Well, according to this movie, when bees stop pollinating, all plant life dies....immediately. Anyway, they work it out in the end. But, I honestly felt like I had wasted part of my life watching this movie. I definitely don't recommend it.

Juno
I'd heard a lot about this movie, some good, some bad. But, I wanted to see it myself. After having seen it, I have mixed feelings. It was definitely off-beat and quirky. I liked Ellen Page because you never knew what she was going to say next. But, I didn't love it. And I'm not really sure why. I think, honestly, the soundtrack kind of bugged me. That's really the only complaint. It was worth seeing at least once though.

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull
I've been wanting to see this movie since I heard they were making a new one. I love Indiana Jones and I love Harrison Ford. Daniel and I saw it the weekend it came out and I really enjoyed it. I think the critics will rip it apart though. I think that if you see the movie you need to realize that it's an Indiana Jones movie, so a lot of it is pretty unbelievable. And a little goofy. I liked Raiders of the Lost Ark a little better, but this movie was definitely right in step with the others.

The Great Debaters
Along the same lines as Harrison Ford, I love Denzel Washington. I feel like he always has a really good energy with his roles. He also directed this one, and I feel like it carried that same energy. Anyway, I thought the movie was really good. It was set in the pre-civil right era. I felt like it had a lot to say about racism without getting all down on "the white man." It told it like it is, which is very refreshing. To me, the message of the movie was that this is where we came from and look how different things are now.

Cloverfield
My brother loved this movie, and I was pretty fascinated by the previews. I liked the way it was filmed, showing a disaster from a common person's point of view. But, it didn't really thrill me. I wasn't scared through the entire thing and it's really easy to get me jumpy. I think it was the lack of music, which was part of the effect. Also, I really didn't like any of the characters in it. Or, at least I didn't feel a connection.

Ironman
I have to admit that I wasn’t too excited to see this one, but Daniel really wanted to see it, so we saw it with some friends. And I was totally blown away. I love transformers, and I felt like this was in the style of that movie. Robert Downey, Jr. did an awesome job as Tony Stark, and I loved Pepper Potts. It was exciting, and had great character development. I totally recommend it!

Anyway, I'm still patiently waiting for the new Batman to come out. If you know of any other good movies I should see, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment