Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1dHKNO6PS

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The sleeping dilemma and pet names

Man, daylight savings time is a killer when you have a new baby. Each hour you get to sleep is precious. It seems so unfair that the government can just arbitrarily take away one of those hours.

Abigail is a pretty good sleeper. She sleeps for almost exactly three hours at a time. That's a pretty good amount for me since I'm breastfeeding, and anything longer than 3 hours just isn't doable.  However, she is very picky about where she sleeps and when.  During the day, I can stick her just about anywhere. Sometimes she sleeps on the couch in her boppy, or just a blanket. Sometimes I hold her while I watch a TV show or movie. And, sometimes I put her in her bassinet for her naps.

At night, it's a totally different story. She will only sleep in the bed with me and Daniel. I've tried many different methods of trickery to get her into her bassinet to sleep to no avail. Before I had Abigail I had this idea in my head that people who co-slept were weird and endangering their baby. Now, I'm totally left wondering what I'm supposed to do. We only have a queen-sized bed, so I sleep at the very edge to give her all the space she needs so I don't roll on her in the night.  The second we move her to the bassinet, she's awake and won't go back to sleep until she's in the bed. I've decided to keep trying to put her in her bassinet every night, but I'm not going to force the issue right now. I just need to make sure I'm getting sleep.

I'm starting to feel physically more like myself.  Recovery has been pretty difficult for me, and something I really wasn't prepared for. I feel like I'm off-balance all the time, and I walk funny. It's been nice to see some improvement.

Today we are going over to my parent's house for dinner. My grandmother is coming down from Salt Lake to meet Abigail. Abigail is her first great-granddaughter. I'm also expecting major fights between my brother and sisters over who gets to hold Abigail first/the longest.

My family is really big on pet names. Not so much nicknames, but we all had names that my mom called us when we were young. I was "Miss Mouse" or "Sister." Jacob was "beetle." Sara was "Bug" or "Cakester." Rachel was "Lamb," and Samuel was.... actually, I don't remember what we called Samuel. Anyway, so it was only natural that I would come up with a myriad of pet names for Abigail. In fact, I rarely call Abigail by her given name. She is "baby," "monkey," or "brat." I wonder at what point I will have to actually call her by her given name...

Happy Sunday!

Sitting in her boppy wearing a hat provided by Aunt Rachel

I made the onesie during a baby shower, so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment